Saturday, August 9, 2008

What a Pain in the Neck!

A couple of months ago, I shared about my painful experience of having Oral Surgery. For several weeks after that surgery, I experienced a lot of pain. However, it wasn’t pain in my mouth, but rather pain in my neck.The stress of the surgery and the position that they had me in while performing it had done something to my neck – and I was feeling the pain. I figured that it was just temporary, I would wait it out and it would just go away after awhile, but it did not. The pain continued and I had difficulty sleeping, relaxing, driving, etc. My wife, Karlene, suggested that I go get it checked-out. I didn’t respond to that suggestion enthusiastically, so the pain continued. Finally, she suggested that I see a Chiropractor.

As it turned out, one of our team leaders at church had just started working part-time with a Chiropractor and set up an appointment for me. I had not been to a Chiropractor in years – though in my late teens, I frequented a Chiropractor due to a lower back problem that had originally been brought about by an injury incurred while playing football. That Chiropractor helped me immensely and I have a positive view towards Chiropractic medicine as a result. So, I kept the appointment to see the doctor about my pain in the neck.

I arrived at Therapeutica, the Chiropractic office, which is located in an upscale complex on the hillside in south Torrance. I met Doctor Sal for the first time and we then spent a considerable amount of time discussing my medical past, current pains, filling-out forms, etc. Finally, he led me into one of the treatment rooms and began treatment. The treatment was both painful and liberating. My neck and back snapped, crackled, and popped like a bowl of Rice Krispies! It was quite the experience. Yet, it was what I needed. The adjustment was necessary to get my body back in alignment.

The experience got me thinking. How often do we Christians get ourselves out of alignment to God, His word and His purpose? We live with pains in the neck – or somewhere else – because of this certain situation or that particular circumstance, things that have happened in our lives and remain unresolved. The pain is real, but so is the solution. What we need is a new trip to the great Physician, Jesus Christ for an adjustment. It may be an attitude adjustment, a vision adjustment, or a thinking adjustment. However, adjustments are necessary for Believer’s so that we can get re-aligned to the word, purpose and person of Jesus.

Living with pain? Having trouble figuring out the difficulties? Is life giving you a rough road? Perhaps an alignment is in order. My suggestion is to go see Doctor Jesus. He can help. Good news is that appointments are available today!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure glad that wasn't me being your "pain in the neck!"