Saturday, June 1, 2013

Leading or Following?

Last night, my son, Zac, and I went for a walk with our dog, Roxy. Roxy is a miniature Dachshund -- with a mind of her own. Considering Roxy, we could really use a visit from Cesar Millan, the Dog Whisperer. Truth be told, we don't really walk Roxy, but she walks us. 

Roxy likes being in the front, leading the way. The only problem is, she doesn't know where her Master is taking her -- so she makes many directional mistakes. Therefore, she is constantly being urged -- by her Master -- to re-adjust her route, in order to get her back on the right path. She expends a lot of needless energy, pulling at her harness and straining to get ahead when it would be a much-easier, and less-stressful, journey if she would just get in step and follow.

I think that many Christians, including myself at times, have the same attitude as Roxy. However, the truth of the matter is that being a "Christian" means that we are to "follow" Christ. Jesus called his disciples, saying, "Follow me." We are called to follow His word, His will, and His way. We get ourselves into trouble, when we get out of position -- going where we want to go, instead of going where Jesus wants to takes us.

Let me encourage you today to take a look at who you are and where you are right now. If you are out-of-position, out-of-sorts, and out-of-step, take the time today to re-adjust your walk. Remember that Jesus wants to lead you to a better place -- let Him.

I have to remind myself that I was called to follow Christ, not the other way around. He is the ultimate leader and knows the direction that I need to go in. To get where I need to be, I need to follow the Way -- and Jesus is the Way.

Hopefully, on my journey, I will have more of a teachable spirit than Roxy does.


 Psalm 37:23

"The Lord directs the steps of the godly. He delights in every detail of their lives."

1 comment:

Karlene said...

She sure does help you get some GREAT sermons!!! :D